Saturday, June 4, 2016

[Atomic Robo] Funny Story

Oh, Dervil. If only you could protect this geek from mistakes like these.
Hey, so -- funny story! Apparently a rather bizarre typo made it through the layout process on Majestic 12, and now it's there forever and ever and ever and there's nothing I can ever do about it and I'll just have to live with it and why would that be a problem anyway when I'm so well-adjusted?

Here's what happened. All of the sample PCs for Majestic 12 (on pages 42-43) were given four of five aspects, with the fifth, or "Omega" aspect, being left blank for the player to fill in themselves. This made it through editing just fine. Somehow, though, in layout, that "Omega" line migrated down to the "Stunts" header just below it. Together they combined to form "Omega Stunts." Which sounds pretty cool, admittedly, but it's not what we meant to put there.

Now, how did I not notice this in the multiple read-throughs I did of the final text? Dude, I have no idea. I probably gave the headers short shrift, just assuming they were correct, because typically they are, and I'm willing to bet everyone else did the same.

The upshot is that now the final printed product has these six glaring, glaring errors in them, forever and ever. The odds of Majestic 12 getting a second print are probably... not high, let's say. So this is it!

This may not be a big deal to you -- I bet you're super-understanding, even! -- but needless to say it will haunt my every waking moment, as is evidenced by the fact that I only just found out about this about an hour ago and am now blogging about it.

I'll do what I can do prevent this sort of thing from happening again, which may or may not involve retreating into the Santa Susana Mountains (which are not local, BTW), playtesting Fate hacks with, I dunno, raccoons (they can hold dice!), and eventually declaring my cave a sovereign nation (Proofreadia).

(Thanks to Nicholas Arroyo for pointing out this mistake on the Fate More Kickstarter page.)

No comments: